Your thoughts about a new default template for nopCommerce 2.70 (or 2.80)

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
11 лет назад
I have great experiences using Twitter Bootstrap and this is fast becoming the default way for people to develop websites. There are already many sites where one can find Bootstrap themes. I work in a bank and we have decided to use Bootstrap for all our new stuff to avoid problems with different browsers on all strange platforms.

Bootstrap is also much faster to develop in since the class names and such are well laid out.

IE6 is soon dead so do not think to much about it.
11 лет назад
a.m. wrote:
Drop IE6 support?

Every web developer knows about issues with IE6 with its hacks and how many time it requires to support it properly. Isn't it time to drop IE6 support in the upcoming nopCommerce 2.80 with the new default theme?

There are a lot of articles over the web about IE6 and thoughts about whether it should be supported. I'll just share two most interesting links:

The Internet Explorer 6 Countdown
Browser Trends December 2012

Please let me know your thoughts.

I think using a popup like the following would be a great addition to nop to let visitors know if their browsers are outdated. http://www.bleepingtech.com/automatic-outdated-browser-detection-script-for-websitesblogs/ I think it should detect not only IE, but all browsers.

UPDATE: Here is a link to where you can see the code to customize what browser versions are allowed or not.
http://www.devslide.com/labs/browser-detection/configure
11 лет назад
Hi, Andrei
here's some suggestions I hope you could find usefull.

1) It would be a good idea to limit 'payment in store' method accordingly to 'pick up in store' in delivery method.
This because if I filter pick up in store by area code, it doesn't make sense to show Pay in store to a Canadian customer.
2) Product pictures don't have any SEO fields.
It is of greatest importance to add SEO to products and categories (in multilanguage as well) for SEO purposes. It sounds incredible, but there are no pictures in Google serp, also if my product is at first place. Pictures are very important for position strategies.
3) Other very important SEO improvements:
- Insert the date field microformat (you can use the UpdatedOnUtc field in Product table) so the date is shown in Google SERP. Freshness is important, if my product has been updated more recently than my competitor, I've more probability to come out before.
  - Add the possibility to choose where to show in Google SERP the number of products when Google shows the category as result of a search. For instance, if I have 50 products, I'd like to read "50 products", while if I have only 5, I wouldn't set this facility
4) Integration to Pinterest. It's very important and gives high SEO results
11 лет назад
It would be a good idea to limit 'payment in store' method accordingly to 'pick up in store' in delivery method.
This because if I filter pick up in store by area code, it doesn't make sense to show Pay in store to a Canadian customer.
It is good idea, because I know several carriers, who supply service "pick up for special store" (it is means this carrier take goods from our warehouse and delivery it to puck up store).
11 лет назад
I am not sure if this already in the road map.
IMHO,  a responsive web template would be great and make NopCommerce to more competitive.

My team are exploring NopCommerce but working toward to makes a responsive template as we receive inquiry from one of our client.

I think this worth the efforts and time to put on.

Or any community member here to share any on production store with responsive web design?
11 лет назад
Maybe nop 3.XX http://divshot.com/

If you have enough experience and no longer require div, I recommend that you specify at least one div.

Ex. \Catalog\CompareProducts.cshtml
with folder+file <div class="catalog-compareproducts">

For developers to search for code in Solution Explorer, Resharper, Page Inspector.
11 лет назад
Kennethh wrote:
I have great experiences using Twitter Bootstrap and this is fast becoming the default way for people to develop websites. There are already many sites where one can find Bootstrap themes. I work in a bank and we have decided to use Bootstrap for all our new stuff to avoid problems with different browsers on all strange platforms.

Bootstrap is also much faster to develop in since the class names and such are well laid out.

IE6 is soon dead so do not think to much about it.

I agree with this.
11 лет назад
A new modern currency picker (clickable currency symbols) would be nice in the new template. You can vote for the workitem.
11 лет назад
Can the new theme be applied to 2.7 or previous versions directly by copying the theme folder from the changeset and selecting it in the admin panel?
11 лет назад
Good news. The theme is almost ready. Some minor changes are required and HTML refactoring is planned to be done. Please have a look at the latest changesets.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.